To: Prospective Applicants For The Head Coaching Position Of The Calgary Colts.
Please read below to learn more about the Calgary Colts organization and what we are in search of in our next Head Football coach.
Section 1: Information About The Calgary Colts:
The Calgary Colts are a part of the Canadian Junior Football League (CJFL) and play within the Prairie Football Conference (PFC). The Calgary Colts were established in 1965 and have won two National championships in 1989 & 1990.
The Calgary Colts, as part of the CJFL, provide young men the opportunity to play football post high school from the ages of 17-22 years old. The Colts players might be students (of any facility) or working.
Section 2: Goal. Mission. Direction.
The goal of the Calgary Colts is to win a National Championship every season.
Our mission is to build good character through football.
The direction for guiding our organization in achieving our goal and mission includes:
• Attracting top quality character people.
• Building and maintaining a culture of excellence, on and off the football field.
• Maintaining high standards of accountability, in every area of the organization.
• Creating an environment of honest, open, respectful and transparent communication throughout our organization.
• Providing opportunities for football players to grow as people and athletes.
• Creating an environment for elite football skills, strategy and player progression through top quality coaching, directing (through the Colts Board) and community support.
Maintaining this direction, with our mission remaining top of mind, consistently year over year, will result in being competitive in our league. This philosophy will position the Calgary Colts for long-term success on and off the field.
Section 3: About The Head Coach position.
Be the face of the organization while leading the football coaching staff and players according to the goal, mission statement and be instrumental in facilitating the direction set by the organization.
• Provide and implement the strategy for successful football performance aligned with the goal, mission and direction of the organization.
• Recruitment of athletes.
• Instruction, supervision and direction of athletes in preseason, regular season and playoff games.
• Supervision of practice and conditioning sessions.
• Knowledge of and adherence to PFC and CJFL policies, procedures, rules and regulations – including NCCP Certifications.
• Selection, supervision and evaluation of assistant coaches and other instructional football personnel (guest coaches, interns, etc.) in the conduct of the Colts football program.
• Scheduling of competitive events including the spring and main training camps.
• Game planning and scouting for the season’s games.
• Media relations.
• Support fundraising initiatives and Calgary Colts participation in designated community events.
• Enforce disciplinary measures against coaches or players breaching code of conduct provisions or otherwise exhibiting behaviours contrary to our goal, mission or direction.
• Foster a strong community atmosphere within the Calgary Colts organization including coaching staff, players, support staff, the Board of Directors and volunteers.
• The final selection of the Colts players, including active and practice roster participants.
• Allocation of coaching staff budget and communication of the same to the coaches.
• Managing the recruiting budget for each season.
• Participate in weekly formal evaluations and reviews with the Director of Football Operations during season.
• Participate in formal “Head Coach Updates” and discussion with the Board of Directors on a monthly basis.
Section 4: Colts Head Coach Minimum Requirements.
Please consider the following minimum requirements before applying for the Head Coach of the Calgary Colts:
• Minimum five years post-secondary football experience including Junior, College, University or Professional.
• Demonstrated progression of football coaching experience.
• Successfully complete a criminal records check.
• Ability to commit approximately 20-30 hours per week during season and 10 hours per week (on average) in off season.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable.
• Acknowledge this is a multi-year commitment.
Section 5: Application Process And Expectations:
The selection committee will contact only short listed applicants for an interview. Subsequent interviews or meetings may be required at the discretion of the selection committee. The preferred candidate will be presented to the Board of Directors for final approval.
The interview(s) will consist of up to a 30-minute presentation (maximum) by the applicant followed with a question period. All applicants will be thoroughly vetted, with references checked, before an interview is scheduled. Short list applicants will be sent an outline of minimum presentation expectations.
Thank you for your consideration in applying to be the next Head Football Coach for the Calgary Colts!
Section 6: How to apply:
Please submit your resume, cover letter and references on the form below (personal and professional). Job posting closes November 15, 2017.
Contact Chad Moore, Director Of Football Operations, with questions or concerns: